Sunday 20 May 2012

Thing 3 Sunday evening

Have skootled thru a few Thing 3 posts and really enjoyed them, lots of common themes.

My name does not brand me.  I share it with four other people in my workplace alone, and that is before you get into adding tiny variants in spelling or adding in another first name.  When I set up a gmail account, like for many people my name was already taken - no surprise there, but my solution was to incorporate "librarian" into the address.  It is for the professional me rather than personal me, as is a common thread in the posts read tonight.

Onwards to Google.  You won't find me for pages and pages and pages, and like one or two other cpd23-ers I imagine my parallel existences.  A quick surmise has me mostly being American and a lawyer.  Magically add the word librarian to my name in Google and I'm in the first page but I'm not even the sole librarian!!  But salvation lies ahead:  add uksg to my name and you find the talk I gave:  video, slides and blogs.  It says a great deal for how media savvy and organised UKSG is.

Onwards thence to Bing, incidentally an idea from another blog - reading the blogs is not just sharing of experience but source of ideas and knowledge! - and I am even more obscure.  Interesting to contrast with the big G.

But.  Anna Librarina unique to me.  Only 3 hits and they are all me - so the power of choosing a brand is in evidence.  It comes from a typo.  How often have I typed helath instead of health for instance?  Or hopsital instead of hospital?  Likewise, librarina is my typo of librarian, but having studied Italian in uni it had a certain resonance, and of course, the actual word for a female librarian in Italy is bibliotecaria - not very lovely as a word, and libreria very confusingly, disappointingly, is a bookshop! 

Have not used it as my handle on twitter but may change that.  Just at the moment it means that the link from my twitter is there to find on this blog but not reverse-wise.  And this being my instance of the commonly expressed concern about actually committing thoughts out there about what feels very personal, musings about oneself. 

I intend to start adding in the links to the blogs that are referenced.  Just seems a good librarianly and courteuous thing to do - Thing 3.5 if you will.

Buona notte.

No comments:

Post a Comment